Are you still doing dozens or even hundreds of (useless) crunches in the hopes of revealing your sexy, flat, tight & toned belly? Still seeing nothing for your efforts?
Let me share a little secret with you: Traditional crunches yesterday’s news, so let’s take your ab routine to the next level with the following 7 Best Ab Exercises.
The most effective ab exercises strengthen your core as a whole –which helps prevent dreaded back pain, increases your agility and, of course, makes you look amazing in your skinny jeans, little black dress or 2 piece bathing suit.
In your new ab routine the focus is on quality over quantity. A few concentrated movements are always more effective than dozen and dozens of old fashion crunches that do absolutely nothing.
These are the top 7 moves we use to sculpt the tight and toned belly you see below (in only 6 weeks!) And get these kind of results:
1) Plank: When performed correctly, a simple plank is one of the most effective ways to tighten your entire core. Proper form is key. Keep your back flat and your belly button pulled in toward your spine.
Lie face down on mat resting on your forearms, palms flat on the floor. Push off the floor, raising up onto your toes and resting on your elbows. Keep your back flat, in a straight line from head to heels. Tilt your pelvis and contract your abdominals to prevent your rear end from sticking up in the air or sagging in the middle.
2) Mountain Climbers: This vigorous variation of a standard plank kicks the core tightening up a notch. Angling your knees toward the opposite shoulder is a wonderful way increase the intensity even more.
Place your hands wider than shoulder-width apart on the ground in a push-up position. Bring one knee to your chest and then back to the starting position, alternate each leg quickly.
3) Russian Twist: Nothing quite brings the burn like a properly done set of Russian Twists. By holding a medicine ball or dumbbell in your hands, the exercise becomes even more effective.
Sit on the floor with knees bent like in a “sit-up” position. The feet should be kept together and slightly off the floor. Keep your torso straight and your back off the ground at a 45 degree angle. Hold a medicine ball or dumbbell with both hands. Next, the arms should be swung from one side to another in a twisting motion, with each swing to a side counting as one repetition. You can ditch the weight it is too tough or move more slowly for a more challenging workout.
4) Reverse Crunch All too often I see people neglect their lower abs in favor of quicker, easier exercises. The fact is that our lower abs typically need the most work, so give them the attention that they need with these Reverse Crunches.
Start on your back, bend your knees with your feet on the floor and knees touching. Extend both arms overhead on either side of your ears, and grab a weight (plate, dumbbell or medicine ball). Exhale and bring your knees up towards your chest as you bring the weigh up to meet your knees. Keep your head on the ground. Slowly lower back down to start position.
5) Toes To Sky: A weak midsection can lead to back pain. And sometimes even the best ab move can irritate a weak lower back. You are left with the dilemma of how to strengthen and tighten your core while not aggravating your back. This cool move does just that.
Lie down flat on your back with your arms at your side. Raise your legs straight up so your toes are towards the sky (see where this is going?) Now, lifting you butt off the ground reach your toes higher in the air- probably 4-6 inches but no more. Now lower back down and repeat. DO NOT let you legs swing up and back, this should strictly be a (relatively) small vertical pulse to laser target those abs.
6) Side Bridges: In yet another variation of the fantastic plank, Side Bridges are much more challenging that they appear at first glance. While the focus is mainly on your waist, due to the stabilizing nature of this exercise, you’re also working your entire core as a whole.
Put your feet and legs together as you lie on your right side. Place your right arm under your body and lift your upper body so that your right elbow is directly under your shoulder. Your left hand should be resting on your left hip. From this position, slowly raise your hips from the ground until a straight line is formed from your ankles to your shoulders. Hold the position for a moment, slowly return to the starting position, and repeat.
7) Butterfly Sit Up:
Sit ups get a bad rap. The truth is no other exercise has flattened as many bellies as the sit up. The real issue is most people do them WRONG. So this modified version call the “Butter Fly Sit Up” makes it even more effective and is much easier to perfect for a slim and sexy midsection.
Lie down on your back and bend your knees. Now bring the soles of your feet together and knees spread apart wide. Reach back above your head letting your fingertips touch the ground. Now bring your hand forward as you sit up and touch your toes (soles of your feet still together.) Now reverse the move and lie back down.
Got it? Not too complicated right? The difference is these moves WORK!
Here is a sample of how to put those moves together. Set a timer (there are plenty of free apps for your phone, just search workout timer) or keep your eye on a clock and do each move it sequence for 45 seconds. Then rest 15 second and then do the next move. Shoot for 2-4 rounds to really tighten that tummy fast.
“Best of 7”
2- 4 Rounds
45 Seconds On / 15 Seconds Off
- Mountain Climbers
- Russian Twist
- Reverse Crunch
- Toes To Sky
- Side Bridge
- Butterfly Sit Up
Got questions? Just leave me a message below!
To your success!
PS: Ready to take your fitness results to the next level? Call, email or message me today and we will get you started on a custom exercise program that’s designed to deliver you the results you want FAST! Come on, you deserve it!